Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Contradictions in the Lives of "Christians"

“Not everyone who calls me, ‘Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father.”
--Jesus (Matthew 7:21)


Many people say that God is their first priority, but their lives testify otherwise. Jesus said that not everyone who calls him Lord will enter heaven. Doing God's will is the deciding factor. Let me jot down a few of the contradictions I've observed in peoples' lives. By the way, for the most part, I'm speaking from personal experience. All of the following things used to be true in my life. I thought I was following Christ, but he lovingly showed me I was not. Here goes...

Professing Christians claim that the Bible is the most important book in the world, but they spend more time watching TV than reading their Bibles.

Although the Bible says that complaining leads to destruction (1 Cor. 10:10), many people complain about their difficulties and even complain about the weather that God made.

Much of what entertains people on television is sin. In this world we will see sin occur around us, but should we deliberately put it in front of our eyes? Should we be entertained by it? Have you ever laughed at a sexually perverted comment that the movie calls "comedy"? God grieves and weeps at the sin, but many of his professed children laugh at it. Something is wrong!

Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 10 to freely give since they had freely received. Do you think Jesus would have been pleased if his disciples wrote memoirs of their experiences with Jesus and then sold copies of them for $14.95???? Isn't this what happens in modern Christianity today?

Many people in churches speak of peoples’ faults behind their backs. The Bible clearly forbids this.

I wonder if people would be honest and if you asked them what they truly enjoyed more: their sporting events or spiritual things? Are they more alert and excited during the 4th quarter or during a sermon or prayer or opportunity to witness on the street...

Many people are ashamed to share their faith. They might be ashamed at work, at the supermarket, or any other time. Sure, some are not ashamed. But some definitely are. "If you are ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of you."

Well, that's all I'll say for now. I don't want to be too "negative", but the truth sometimes hurts. I know that not all of these things apply to everyone. But whoever reads this maybe it'll help you take a good, hard, honest look at how you live. Do you live what you say you believe?

If we really believe that our lives are a drop in the bucket compared to eternity, how will we live? If we really believe that only what is done for God will last, how will we live?

“Will you come to my house and say, ‘We are saved,’ and then continue to do these detestable things? I have seen it!”
--God (Jeremiah 7:10-11)

5 comments:

MTR said...

I agree, for the most part, but with this:
"Do you think Jesus would have been pleased if his disciples wrote memoirs of their experiences with Jesus and then sold copies of them for $14.95????"

I must disagree. I've gotten a lot out of the Christian books I have read. They don't replace the Bible, but they sure are useful and good. I think a Christian can read and watch things besides the Bible. It's okay to seek out entertainment, is it not?

Anonymous said...

1 John 2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Are you looking for help in the world or in the word? Looking for help from man or from GOD? The Bible should be your entertainment. You can not love Jesus and not love the word because if you read John chapter 1 you find that the word became flesh in Jesus Christ. Psalms 138:2 says that the only thing GOD magnifies above his name is his word. It's one thing to lift up his name, it's another to lift up his word. The world believes in a God, the world does not believe in the word or the son since they are one.

WebServant said...

mtr,

I wasn't questioning whether the disciples' memoirs would be helpful or enjoyable. I was questioning whether Jesus would be pleased if they sold their memoirs. Would he be pleased if they charged money to heal people?

--jason

MTR said...

So can I go see King Kong??? :-)

Anonymous said...

mtr, let the word of GOD help you hear. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says that whatever we do, we should do it to gloify GOD! Will going to see King Kong glorify GOD? Especially noting the rating of the film and why the rating is so. Can wickedness and Godliness co-exist? If the film has language problems, would the Bible call it edifying or godly? Look to the word of GOD for your final decision. I'm not trying to put you down, but build you up according to God's word. Jesus said Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.(Mt. 5:6)